SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

American casement window wax stripping

A quick learner from Pueblo says:
Our home was built in 1990/1 with "American something" casement windows(we are the second owners). Much of the vinyl weather stripping is at least "stiff or brittle" and should be replaced. It appears to fit into a groove/channel on the window. Do you have a product I can use? I took a couple photos in hopes this would help.

Thank you
Lynn
User submitted image of their weatherstripping.
A home owner from Pueblo says:
The title for my email with the photos should have read "weather stripping" not wax stripping. This the first time i have used your website so I am trying figure out what to do next. Did you understand my issue?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
This looks like a leaf type weatherseal. See our 55-169 and 55-183 to start out and let me know if either of these match up to your sample.
A home owner from Pueblo, CO says:
Thanks for your quick response. I will be unable to follow up on this until after Oct 8th, so pls do not think I am ignoring your suggestion.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
No worries! We're always here, so take your time and let us know whenever it's convenient!
A quick learner from Pueblo says:
We are back. Thanks for your patience. Anyway, I measured the current weather stripping and found the following: 3/4" wide is portion that rests against edge of window; 1/4" wide appears to be portion that firs in 1/16" wide slot along the edge of the window. I would be happy to send you a short length of the existing weather stripping, if that would be helpful. Thank you. Lynn (mr)
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks! Those measurements appear to closely match those of our 55-183. It's 9/32" along the smaller ledge, instead of 1/4", but that's only 1/32" off so I think it should be okay. What are your thoughts?
Profile diagram of 55-183
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)