SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Andersen Sash Balance

A home owner from Columbus, OH says:
Left corner: PAT 1865C
Center: US Patent #
Right: Upside down A, with circle, Pat pending

THANKS for your help
User submitted a photo of an Andersen window balance.
Additional info: size
6 1/4" x 2 7/8"
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid those numbers don't help me find a matching part for this balance. Can you tell me everything printed on the balance? Could I also see clear pictures of each number? Sometimes seeing how the numbers are printed is just as important as the numbers themselves.
My brother took pics with his phone, but they were not very clear (I will upload anyway). He also shot a short video with his phone, which shows better. Is there anyway to send it to you? (the link below only accepts pics, no movies.)
A landlord from Columbus says:
Are the parts all that different. Can we just match based on dimensions?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid not. These are delicate systems that are precisely calibrated to the weight of your window sash. The stamp we need tells us how it's calibrated. If you are unable to get a clear picture, can you just tell me what every stamp on the balance reads? Keep an eye out for any markings like "#" or "H" or "P," since you'll commonly find the stamp in question near such markings. It would be even better if you just tell me everything printed on the balance, though, and we can work from there!
What if I give you the dimensions of the window?
Profile picture of Tom
Well, if we were to go that route, we would need to know the height and width of the visible glass. However, this is not the most reliable method and the best we can do with that information is make an educated guess. We highly recommend just telling us what each stamp printed on the balance reads.
The only markings I saw are part of the first string above. That is why I am trying to come up with alternatives to determine the correct part. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
In that case, tell us the width and height of the visible glass and we will try our best to find a match. In the meantime, double check to see if there aren't more numbers. I've never seen an Andersen balance that didn't have all the right information printed on it. Make sure to check on the underside, as well.
The single pane of glass is 22 high by 33 wide. Plastic dividers snap in place. Thank you.
Here are pictures (screenshots from the movie). the only number that does not show well is that to the left, which reads:
PAT 1865C
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid patent numbers do not help identify this kind of balance. The numbers should be on the "belly" of the box, though they may be faded with age. I can almost make out the vague outline of stamps in the first picture, but sometimes these things are hard to read.

Based on your glass size, I recommend our 24-939. I would like you to just keep in mind that this is not a guaranteed match. Without knowing what those faded stamps might say we cannot make a more confident recommendation.
I ordered the 24-939 but I have not had a chance to install. In the meantime, another smaller window's sash cord broke and I found the following numbers: AA 4 25 66. Once I found those, I went to the original window that started this conversation and found the following: CC 5 27 87.
What are the correct replacement parts.
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
For the balance stamped 4 25 see our 24-431, and for the balance stamped 5 27 see our 24-531.
Thank you. I already have two 24-939 balances. Would those be interchangeable with the 24-531?
Profile picture of Tom
I'm afraid not. None of our Andersen balances are interchangeable with one another as they are precisely calibrated. That's why it's important to know the stamps, since we can only glean so much from the glass size.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)