SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Are there any alternates to door latch 82-248?

A contractor from New Jersey says:
I have a sliding glass door. The 'T' hook on the latch is broken. I attached a picture of your item 82-248 from the website that I marked up to show the major differences for the latch I am looking for. The 5/8" from the end to the T hook is the most important difference. I can modify to obtain the flats and diameter at the end if needed. The inside handle has a number NA 8226 in the casting. The outside handle has number NA 8225 in the casting. The door is 1-7/16" thick. The T hook on 82-248 is too far from the end and hits the opposite inside surface of the door. Is there another latch that is more like the one I have?
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
User submitted photos of a latch hook.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Your exact lock is, unfortunately, no longer available. I think you should take a look at our complete lock set, the 82-003. I went into our stock and took one apart to measure the hook latch. The measurements are only a little different than yours, except the measurement you give on the thumb latch side of the of the hook. I'm getting 3/4" from end to hook base where you are getting 5/8". The other dimension you give, 1-3/16", is only 7/8" on the 82-003. Frankly, I don't believe that dimension will hurt the operation of the lock but I'm not sure. Take a look at 82-003 and see what you think.
A quick learner says:
Dave,
I purchased the 82-003 that you recommended. It worked great. Initially I was annoyed at buying the entire latch set when only the old lock pawl was broken, but the new lock pawl didn't fit the old set so I replaced everything. Thanks for your help.
Ken
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
That's great to hear, Ken! Thanks for following up with us.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)