SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Atrium Door Lever Mortise Set stuck in locked position

A quick learner from Tupper Lake NY says:
My lock bolt is stuck in the engaged position and I cannot get it to retreat as the inside knob just spins. Tried removing the pins from the door hinges but the hinges are curved and cannot move past each other. I tried the key for the lock but had the same result. Any suggestions? When trying to get it open I used more force than appropriate and something inside snapped, hence the inside bolt knob just spinning. It does still pause in certain spots when I rotate it, but does not engage. Can the bolt be accessed in any other way. The door of course cannot be opened.
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you may have damaged the inside mortise during your experimentation. If that's the case then your options will be limited. Try removing the handle from the door and seeing if you can throw the mortise lock manually. If not, you may want to contact a local handy person to come out and take a look.
A home owner from Tupper Lake NY says:
Solution: using a tool that vibrates and a carbide blade, we cut the lock bolt off and successfully opened the door with very little damage to the door and the remainder of the assembly. Door now shuts but does not lock. Thanks for your input.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)