SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Atrium Windows Balance identification

A home owner from Bellflower says:
I am trying to replace the window balance on my Atrium windows and would like to identify the correct part. Here is what is printed on the balance: 86 26-4 FB5 CMC 54
User submitted photos of a window balance.
The length is 28 inches and its about 1/2 inch wide.
How do I determine the weight of the window?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Based on your pictures, I believe you have something like our Series 395 channel balance. Be sure to confirm that the nylon attachments are the same size as yours.

Double check the length of the metal channel, though. With a stamp of 26-4, your length should be 27" long, not 28". Do not count the nylon attachments when determining length, only the metal channel.

You can determine the weight of the window by simply placing it on a scale. Any common bathroom scale should do.
A quick learner from Bellflower says:
Thanks Paul for the response. Is the sash weight range same as the weight of the windows?

I am trying to figure out which option should I be buying
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The sash weight range is the same as the weight of the window, yes. The "sash" is the glass panel that you move up and down when you open and close the window.

We have a chart on the S385-27 store page. All you need to do is weigh your sash and compare it to that chart. Since your old stamp was 26-4, you may need the 2640 option, but it's always a good idea to double check just in case.
A home owner from Bellflower, CA says:
Thank you so much Paul. The 2640 option is the correct one. The window weighs 19.6 lbs.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)