SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Awning window operator

A handy person from Berkeley California says:
Hi Swisco-

I am trying to find replacements for the sill-mounted single arm awning
window operators on my house built in 1951. The track mounts on the
inside face of the sash. Do you have such a thing?

Thanks much-

Scott
User submitted a photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Scott. Your operator is very similar to our 39-021, but it looks like you have a special clip on the end of the arm that goes into the sash track. Would it be possible for you to remove that clip and install it on to the 39-021 operator? You might need to contact a person who works in a machine shop to do it.

Also take a look at a newer style operator like the 39-140 (we carry various sizes of this type), along with the 39-114 handle and 39-170 sash bracket. This is the style they now use on wood type awning windows. Could you retro fit any of these to work?
A home owner from Berkeley, CA says:
Thanks, Dave-

Is there any reason I couldn't use the 39-021 with a 39-520 track instead of having to modify the arm?

Scott
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I was actually thinking the same thing, Scott. My concern, though, comes with the end clip on your existing operator. I believe your end clip "pivots", whereas the button end on the 39-021 is stationary. If it's stationary it may give it too much resistance in the track and then bind-up on you.

Check to see if yours pivots. If it doesn't, then maybe the 39-021 and 39-520 could work for you.
A handy person from Berkeley says:
Hi Dave-

I think you're right - as the window opens the track gets higher relative to the crank so there would need to be some play in the system...

I will check out the existing ones tonight.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)