SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Awning windows with snap-in glazing

A handy person from NJ says:

I have aluminum awning windows made by Silverline on a covered porch (11 windows, each with 4 awnings). The previous homeowner had then installed as part of an earlier renovation so I am not sure of the age but suspect they have been here since the 1980's.

A significant portion of the glazing has cracked or broken away.

The part of the glazing with the foot that fits under the base of the glass panel is 3/8" tall, when flattened the part of the glazing that extends from the glass to the aluminum frame is 11/16" wide.

My questions:

1.) I suspect this most closely matches item 55-001, however my old snap-in glazing has a smooth bend whereas 55-001 has a small extended part. Does this mean I should look at a different part#?

2.) The previous installer had added some type of caulking at the corners of the glazing. Is this necessary and if so, do you happen to know what type of material it is (please see photo)?

3.) What is the best tool to use to cut the snap-in glazing to fit?

4.) I would like to replace all of the glazing at the same time for a consistent look (88 pieces of 6 foot sections). Does the 25% restocking fee apply to these items? I would hate to get $500 plus worth of parts and find they don't fit.

Thanks in advance!
User submitted photos of snap-in glazing.
A handy person from NJ says:
Correction: The part that extend out frim the glass is 13/16. (not 11/16ths).
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For Silverline awning windows, I agree that our 55-001 glazing is a good match. The caulking in the corners was used to cover up the gap caused by not fitting the snap in correctly. The horizontal glazing should be a straight cut end to end on the sash and the verticals should be in a 45 degree cut to overlap. A good pair of scissors will cut the glazing. The restocking fee you mentioned only applies to window balances.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)