BFS Window part

A home owner from austin texas says:
Hi,

I have a non tilting sash BFS window that has a broken hook, which renders the window in operable.

I'm not handy, but I have a handyman who is and - with the replacement hook - I believe we can fix the broken window so it will open and close again.

I took these markings off the window stamp:

BFS
16CFR1201SGCC2909UA
CFG33MMTempered
ANSIZ971-2004

Are you able to identify which window I have and thus send me the right part? If not, what do I need to send you to help?

BTW, we haven't removed the channel because I want to keep the window in place. I don't want to have an open hole in my street facing first floor window.

Thanks,
Cara
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid we cannot identify what you have based on that number. I will need to see a few pictures of the hardware you want to replace before we can offer a replacement. Thank you!
A home owner from austin texas says:
Hi,

I've attached three photos of the window. I took pictures of the channels and the flat hook that is needed for one of the tracks.You can see the part that we tried to "replace" but it was a failure. We need the manufacturer's "hook."

Thanks,
Cara
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. This hook appears to match our 62-106, but to be honest it may be better to replace the whole new balance. The cord on the balance with the broken hook doesn't look like it's in good condition. You may find yourself in the same position in the near future.
A quick learner says:
I'm not sure what the balance is, but if it can be replaced and you recommend that, okay. I'd like to order it.

Will you please send instructions to replace it, too? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Sure, I'd be happy to. I'm actually not exactly sure what Series you have either, since I can only see part of it, but I recommend that you look at our 1/2" wide non tilt Channel Balance Home Page. I am confident we have a match here, you just need to confirm which one has the same nylon end caps as yours.

As for replacement instructions, see the video below.
A quick learner says:
Hi,

I took pictures of the shoes (top and bottom of the channel) and uploaded them here. Will you please let me know what series I have, so I can purchase the right replacement part?

Thanks,
Cara
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you, Cara. I would recommend looking at our Series 395 channel balance. Based on your pictures, this appears to be our best match, but review it just to be sure.
A quick learner says:
Hi again,

What sash weight range do I need? I'd like to order today.

Also, the length seems to be 28 1/2 inches - not 28 or 29 inches (which are the ordering options) - and I measured based on the photos. Should I get the longer or the shorter, do you think?

Thanks,
Cara
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Cara. You should choose your option based on the stamp printed on the metal channel. If you still aren't sure, we have a chart on each Series 395 store page that shows how much weight each option supports. You will have to weigh the sash on a scale to choose.

If your metal channel ends on the half inch, though, it will have to be custom made, which can take some time. Can you confirm you're only measuring the metal channel and not the nylon ends? I don't think a standard 28" or 29" could work. 28" may work if you reinstall it to be a little lower, but that can become a project and there's no guarantee it will work anyway.
A home owner from Austin Texas says:
Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that the length of the channel is 28".

I'm not sure the weight for ordering. There is a stamp on the channel (photo attached) but the number doesn't correspond to the numbers on the page for series you recommend.

How do I find the appropriate weight? I can't envision how I'd weigh the sash on a scale, or how I'd calculate how heavy the window is. I can't even open the window by myself (since it has no channels in it, it's not truly functional).

Thanks for your help.

Cara
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Cara. A stamp of 27-6 usually corresponds to our 2760 option.
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.