SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balance ID

A home owner from USA says:
I didn't find similarities comparing my window balances top & shoe attachments with the pictures on your website. However, the closest (I think) similarity would be Series 380 or 385.
The stamp on the balances is "27 3".
Pls help determine the replacement parts. I'm looking to replace 3 windows.

Also, does it make any difference to order a 27 4 ?
Pls advice. Thanks.

User submitted photos of a window balance.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 380 or our Series 385 balances.

Now, as you can see, there is only one difference between these two Series, and that is their bottom shoe. The Series 380 uses the 15-005 while the Series 385 uses the 15-004. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
15-004 and 15-005
A quick learner from 8617 S. 49th Dr., Laveen, AZ 85339 says:
What happens if it measures less than an inch? Does my picture #5 (from top to bottom) help? I am measuring from 2" to the tip and it not more than an inch.

Also, my other question was; does it make any difference to purchase a "27 4" as opposed to the stamp on my balances, "27 3"?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If the depth of your shoe is less than an inch, then it was probably once our 15-005 that wore down over time.

The stamp makes a big difference, actually. We recommend you stick with what your balance had originally. Or, you can weigh your window sash and refer to the option chart we show for the S380-28 and see which option is best based on that weight. I do not recommend going for a stronger spring than what your sash weight requires. That will not make your window work any better. In fact, it might even make things worse.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)