My windows won't stay open

A quick learner from Estero, Florida says:
I have Kinco windows in my condo which was completed in 2004. it is an impact glass single hung window. Two of the windows in the condo do not stay open and slide back down. Am I correct in assuming that it is the balance that needs to be replaced? If not please advise. Also, is their a guide that would come with the part to show how to replace the particular part please? Thank you so much for your assistance
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! When a window can't seem to stay open under its own weight, the problem definitely lies with the balances. Replacing is a painless procedure; you can see a video tutorial on our installing and removing channel balances guide. If you aren't sure what balances you need to purchase to use as replacements, you may upload a few pictures of your balances so that we can identify them for you.
A quick learner from south san francisco says:
I ordered an received the exact channel balances as I pulled out of my windows, but the windows will not stay up. Is there an adjust for the tension on these channel balances?? They are 1/2" series 380 non-tilt.
Profile picture of Tom
Unfortunately, there's no way to adjust tension on channel balances. It sounds the stamp option isn't correct. What is the weight of your sash compared to the options you selected?
A quick learner from South San Francisco says:
My old 15" channel balance weighs 6 1/4 lb. or 178 grams. Reads 14 9 26# LO CALDWELL.
The 24" channel balance weighs 10 1/4 lb. or 292 grams. Reads 23 9 IP CALDWELL.
Attached picture
Profile picture of Tom
Just to make sure, are you weighing the sash or the balances? You need to weigh the sash to determine what option is best, not the balance.
A quick learner from south san francisco says:
I am weighing the balances, how do you weigh the sash?
Profile picture of Tom
You will have to remove the sash from the window and place it on the scale. Check out the video below to see how you can removed the sash.
How to replace a channel balance attachment
How to replace a channel balance attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.