SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balance Rods

A home owner from Mena Ar, 71953 says:
Rod dia is 3/8 inch, Rod length is 28 inches, Weight is 2 OZ. The size of the window is 46 inch wide by 30 inch high, the window tilts inward.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Before I can offer an applicable substitute for your balance, can you please let me know what the weight of your sash is? This will help us determine what color tip you need for your spiral balance.
A home owner from Mena, AR says:
The weight of the sash is around 50 pounds. to make sure, I would like to buy 2 different color tips for a lighter and a heavy sash. Please let Me know so I can fix the window again. Thank You very much.
Sincerely Felix
Profile picture of Paul
The most a 3/8" balance will carry is 26LBS. Are you able to send photo of your current balances? Please remove the balances from your window and take a few pictures of them, and then reply back to this discussion with the images attached. Please make sure that you take a picture of the top portion of your spiral balance.
A home owner from 123Polk 95, Mena AR says:
I only weight the sash halfway by tilting it on the scale and got 23 Lbs and guessing the rest of it. Enclosed are the pictures as requested. thank You.
A customer submitted photo of a spiral balance tip.
Profile picture of Paul
I would recommend that you fully remove the sash from the window and weigh it then. It's very important to get the most accurate weight you can when determining what balance you need.

I would also like you to confirm the diameter of your balance. Judging by the style, it appears to be closer to 5/8". I don't think a 3/8" would be able to carry a sash as heavy as 50 lbs.

Please let me know.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)