SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balance Spring Replacement

A home owner from Hanford, CA says:
I have single hung windows that I believe were manufactured by MI Windows and Door in the mid 90's. They have a mfg code of MTL-6. The balance spring has broken on some of them and I can't figure how to remove the spring after I remove the bottom window. I have removed all the screws holding the springs in place but I am not able to remove the spring from the channel without bending the channel. Any help would be much appreciated.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We actually recommend you replace the entire channel balance once the spring goes bad.

Remove the entire balance unit, take a few photos of the balance and balance attachments and upload them so we can take a look and help you identify the correct replacement Series.
A handy person from Hanford CA says:
Hi Paul. Thanks for your response. I have attached a photo that shows the spring used in my window. The problem I am having is after removing the screws that attach the spring to the window channel, I can not get the pivot shoe assy out of the channel. There is a part of the channel assembly that is cut out (you can see it in the picture) but the pivot assy will not fit through the cut out with out bending the channel assy. I plan to purchase all new coils for the window but I need to get assy out so I can see what numbers I need to purchase. Thanks again for your help.
User submitted photo of double coil shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Please take a look at the 15-181 Double Coil Support.

To remove the springs and pivot shoe, first place a slot screw driving in the cam like you're installing a pivot bar. Carefully turn the cam up (it will shot upward, so hold it and let it move up to the springs). Now remove the two screws holding the springs in. You will see everything come out of the cut out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)