Balance Tube Replacement

A quick learner from Yardley says:
Good Day. Looks like your series 600 spiral balance is what I need along with new pivot shoes. I have replacement windows that are vinyl and have thick glass so they are pretty heavy. I weighted one of the double hung windows and it came in at ~26 lbs. We have always had problems with the windows not being held up and balance tubes breaking. We have had pros fix them only to have them break again in a few months. I decided to research to see if I could do better. Your web site is very helpful. The balance tube diameter is ~5/8 and the length of the tubes are 27". It looks like the pros have been using a red tip but I was wondering since these keep breaking and the window weight is close to the maximum for the red tip, if I should move up to the blue balance tube to try to get a bit more help with the spring strength. Your thoughts on this?
Thanks!
I am going to order enough materials to replace everything in all 8 of my replaced windows but I thought I may just order enough materials for one to start. Do you offer returns if I order the wrong materials?
Thanks again.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hello, and thanks for your question. The blue tip series 600 spiral balance supports a sash weight of 12-31 pounds, so with a 22-lb sash, you are right in that weight range. We do offer a 30-day return policy. Please send us photos and dimensions of your pivot shoes so we can determine which one you need. In the meantime, check out out 15-015, 15-046, 15-047, and 15-173.
A quick learner from Yardley says:
Hi Donna. My sash weighs in at 26lbs (26) so I was wondering if I should move up to the blue tip. Currently the windows are setup with a red tip balance and keep breaking.
It looks like the Black tips will be too strong for the window weight but the blue tip may work better than the current red tips.
Thanks.

Color Tip Sash Weight Range
Red 7 to 29 lb
Blue 12 to 31 lb
Black 31 to 40 lb
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.