Balance clip for 1990s non-tilt, non-removeable sash windows

A handy person from Mandeville, LA says:
Hello Swisco,
Can you help us find the right clips for these windows?

We have the balance rods and installation tool, but are having trouble finding the clip that locks in the balance rod on the underside of these builder grade windows. The sashes are not removeable.

Pictures attached of the underside of the sash - notice its a channel. And a picture of the label, in case that helps identify these.

Thank you,

Ian
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Ian. It looks like you have a Chamberlain window that was made in the late 1980's. You are right in observing that the sashes aren't made to come out. It's frustrating, but that's just how these windows are made. We have a way around that, but let's talk about the balances first.

I see you bought our S500-23 spiral balances. Did this match your old balances? If so, you will need to reuse the old sash clips attached to your window. I actually see them still installed in the sash. You might need a pair of needle nose pliers to straighten out the fork that catches on the balance bow tie.

As for balance installation, you will need a friend. With someone helping you, you will need to drop the new balance in from the top of the sash, screw it in at the top, then let the spiral drop down. You will then raise the sash and, while someone holds the sash in the open position, spin the spiral up to the bottom of the sash. Finally, with our 75-004 tool, give the balance about three turns to charge it and lock it to the end into the sash clip.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thank you Paul! We really appreciate SWISCO's assistance here.

Yes, the S500-23 balances we ordered were an exact match for the old ones.

After trying to replace two of them before you wrote, the bowties have slipped out of the fork when closing the sash. We'll try the pliers to straighten the forks before reinstalling the balance, and see if that brings success. It looks like the forks themselves would be near impossible to replace otherwise...

Thank you,
Ian
Profile picture of Paul
Great! Let me know how it works out. Hopefully it goes smoothly. I know it can be a pain, based on the very design of this kind of window, but with a little patience and elbow grease it should work out. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.
Paul,
Your instructions worked great. I got them all reinstalled in a couple of hrs. Adjusting the forks closer together was the key to prevent bowtie slippage.

Now the windows seem properly counter-balanced - they stay where you put them - up, down, or in the middle.

There still seems to be plenty of friction when moving the sash. Should I lube them?

Cheers,
Ian

Profile picture of Paul
That's awesome news, Ian. I'm glad the hardware matches. As for the friction, use a silicone spray or wax and see if that helps. If not, it's possible you need some sort of face guide like our 67-002. These install on the edge of the sash so that it rubs against the master window frame.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.