Balance for Ply Gem Vinyl Window (10 years old)

A quick learner from Garner, NC 27529 says:
The spring length is 13 7/8"
The balance channel length is 28"
The channel is 1/2" deep on the outside
The channel is 1/2" wide on the outside
The only number stamped on the channel is 288
Please supply your part number and cost for two of these?
Question: Are the left and right side balances the same part?
Any further information needed regarding this please let me know.

Thanks,
Jerry
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Jerry. See our S795-28 channel balance, I think this is what you want. I would just confirm the width of the "T" shoe in the channel. The S795-28 comes with one that is 1-1/4" wide, so it's important to confirm that yours is the same size.
A quick learner from Garner says:
As there is no slot in the vinyl I have been unable to get the balance out yet. I have been able to measure the inside distance in which it is located and it is 1". Does that mean the "T" shoe won't fit?
And is the "T" shoe permanently attached to the metal piece above it?
Also, the number I mentioned before stamped on the balance is not 288 but 28B, which makes sense.
I had planned to order two balances and let someone who does this kind of thing replace them.
Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

You don't need a slot in the window to remove these balances. You also don't even need to hire anyone else, these are very simple to swap out.

Thank you Tom for the quick reply. The balance came out quite easily. Check the image. I get maybe 1-1/16" not the 1-1/4" you mentioned for your "T" shoe. After looking at your "T" shoe it won't work. What I really need is the small "Block and Tackle" as that is what broke. See pictures. It would appear that whomever assembled it put two ropes on the same pulley! Might be the cause or the problem?

Thanks,

Jerry
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you, Jerry. No, the default 1-1/4" shoe will not work. Fortunately, we sell the 15-194 separately. If you want, you can purchase a few of these along with the Series 795 balances. The old can just pop off, and you can pop the 15-194 on. Also note that our Series 795 screws in at the top. Let me know if yours uses a hook, instead.

The pulley block you show is not able to be replaced by itself, I'm afraid. You would need an entirely new balance system. The block and tackle system is very delicate and precisely calibrated before assembly, so no repair or replacement is possible outside of getting a new balance.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Is a different balance required for each side and I assume that I should order two even though the one remaining balance on the window appears to be OK?

Jerry
Profile picture of Tom
Nope, the balances are the same on both sides. You can order just one if you wish, but we usually like to recommend replacing both just in case. That way the new balance won't have to work twice as hard to make up for the older balance's slack.
A home owner from Garner, NC says:
That worked great now I need another one for the other side. However, how can I get a HOOK for the top not the clip that accepts a screw? Or, if that is not possible how can I order hooks? The hook for the other side is lost! Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! There are two options. You can purchase the 15-198 hook separately, but attaching it can be a bit of a hassle. We can make a balance with these hooks for you in a custom order, if you prefer. I would just need to know how many you need. Did you just need one? Is it the same S795-28 with a 28B option? Also, is the shoe the 15-194 or 15-195?
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.