SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balance spring color

A quick learner from Las Cruces, NM says:
I have a series 306 .375 diameter 30 in long balance tube but mine has a yellow tip. How does that compare to your products?

Thanks I have about 7 windows needing replacement springs. These have all had the spiral spring break. House is about 10 years old. Will yours last longer?

Thank you for any help
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Thom. It will depend on the weight of your sashes. The S306-30 has two tip colors: Red and Green. Two of these balances with Red Tips can carry a window sash weight of 10 through 22 pounds, while two with Green Tips will carry a window sash weight of 14 through 26 pounds. If your sash weights fall within either of these two ranges, I think you should be okay. If not, let me know how much they weigh and we can work from there.

As for longevity, it's really hard to judge for balances. It varies based on how often the window is operated. That said, 10 years is just about the standard life span for a spiral balance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)