SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balancers, shoe and latch

A contractor from Pittsburgh PA says:
Plain channel balancer for a tilt window marked with 2730. 28" and 25" lengths. Not finding a match. 2 hooks attach to shoe. I need balancer and shoes.

Also need corner latch. Sorry I didnt pull it out for a side view.

Manufacturer unknown

User submitted photos of a window balance, pivot shoe & tilt latch.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You have a very old aluminum tilt window. As a matter of fact, it's one of the first! We can help with the two balances, but they will need to be custom made. Please give us the weight of each sash for both the 28" long balance and 25" long balance, and we can then work on a custom order.

As for the rest of the hardware, see our 15-106 and 15-107 pivot shoe housings. You would also need the 15-054 brake and 15-124 metal cam for both. Finally, for the top tilt latch, look at our 26-055. This can be used on both the left and right side.
A contractor from Bethel Park PA says:
Actually, these are vinyl windows.

Instead of making a custom part can I use one of your stock channel balances that will fit the new shoe? (scrap the old shoe). Or are there other issues Im not seeing. Otherwise I will get you the weights of the sashes.

Also, where does the brake go? I only see the balancer, shoe and cam.
Profile picture of Paul
Wow, I'm surprised these are for vinyl windows. I've never seen this kind of balances used for that before.

I would stay with the balance series you have now. Switching Series is always difficult because you never know what could go wrong. Besides that, there really isn't any standard, non-custom setup that can substitute this.

The brake shoe fits on one side of the side slot of the cam. So as you tilt the sash in, the brake pushes out to lock the shoe in place.
On second look, yeh you were right, they are aluminum windows.

I have the weights on the sashes. The sash with the 28" balancer is 15lbs. The 25" balancer sash weighs 14 lbs.

Please let me know what the price is for the custom parts. I will be replacing the shoes as well with the ones you recommended.

Profile picture of Paul
Perfect, thank you. Yes, I believe we can make this hardware for you. Can you just tell me how many of each balance you will need? Once we know that, I can send you a custom order link for both, which will include a price quote and which you can use to place your order.
I will need 2 25" balance and 2 28" balance
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I have sent you two custom balance order forms, which you can use to purchase the requested hardware. Thanks again for your patience and let me know if you have any questions.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)