SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balances are too big to remove from the window

A home owner from Plano Texas says:
My home is 13 years old and I have non-tilt windows. I removed the old balances but in the process bent the tube. The Tube is too large to remove either with the window up or down. Is there a proper method for installing the new balances I ordered. I ordered the 24" hook balances. S306-24 24" Series 306 Spiral Balance
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
If you have a non-tilt window, it could be what is called a "side load balance"; meaning the windows come out of the track on the side. However, to do that you must hold down the balance. You may have to remove a take-out clip from the top of your channel, normally something similar to the Swisco 16-002 Clip. If you'd like, you can upload a few photos of your channel balance so we can better help you find a solution.
A home owner from Texas says:
There are no clips on the rail. I
included photos.
user submited photo of window and spiral balance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I believe your sash is not removable. From the images you've submitted, it appears as if you install the balance by sliding it behind the sash, dropping it from the top of the sash. You then screw the top of the balance, raise the sash, and have someone hold it for you. The spiral should be exposed. I believe the sash clip is screwed under the bottom rail of the sash. In the open position, bring the spiral up and give it three turns. You should feel tension as you turn it and hook it on the clip.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)