SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balances done broke

A home owner from CO says:
I need an expert to show me what to buy. Mine measures 28" long (metal part only) and 9/16" wide. That's all I know, because I don't quite understand the numbers printed on mine....
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Can I see a few pictures of the underside of your shoe? Specifically, I'd like to see the placement of the pulley wheels. Thank you!
Hoping this helps!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! I suspected your shoe might be something specially made, but it appears that it just has an odd shape. That makes things a lot easier.

I recommend that you consider our S380-28 channel balance. Carefully compare it to your own hardware and see what you think. The shoe for the S380-28 is a little different than yours, but it should be okay. The most important aspects are that it has wings, which it does, and that the depth is 1", which I think yours might be. Double check just to make sure.
That looks perfect! Yes, the shoe depth is 1". Is there anything in the number stamped that tells me how much my sash weighs? Does the 27-5 mean 2750 is my option? Thanks for your help!
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, usually a stamp of 27-5 corresponds to our 2750 option. It might be a good idea to weigh your window sash just in case though.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)