SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balances for Mercer Windows.

A home owner from USA says:
Hello
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Are you looking for a new balance to replace the one in your pictures? If so, it's a little hard to tell what you have. I can't get a good look at the bottom shoe. I suspect it will either be our Series 380 or Series 385 but you will need to carefully examine both to confirm which is better.
A home owner says:
Sorry. Tried to post questions over weekend but phone/website was having issues. Also sent an email with photos:
Hello - believe I am in need of this S380-13 balance as the original ones in my Mercer brand bathroom window gave out. Measurements seem to line up for 15-005 shoe and a 19-005 top as described here. Please see photos attached. Not sure the 1230 stamp will be sufficient though as these are stamped "86 12-5 BC5 CMC" and the strings snapped in both after a few years.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. Great, I'm glad the S380-13 is a match. I agree, the 1230 likely won't work. You will probably need a 1250 option, which needs to be custom made due to its strength.

I would just confirm the weight of your sash, just in case. Two S380-13 balances with a 1250 option can carry a sash weight of 12 through 15 pounds. If you agree that this will work, let me know how many you need and I can send you a custom ordering link!
A quick learner says:
Thank you Tom. Yes please let me know how much for the 1250 stamp ones.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Sure! I have sent you a custom balance order link with a price quote. You can purchase the balances directly from that link. I didn't know how many you needed so I set the quantity to 2, but if you need more or less let me know and I would be happy to alter it for you.
A quick learner says:
Hello Tom,
Is there a stronger stamp for this balance available? Not sure the 1250 ones will be strong enough as the last ones have out. The window is about 15 pounds. Please let me know if you think the 1250 ones should suffice or not.
Profile picture of Tom
Did your old balances work well, or did you always struggle to open your window? Balances really only have a life span of 5 to 10 years, depending on use, so it makes sense that they wouldn't open as well near the end of their life span.

If you want to consider a different stamp, you should weigh your sash on a scale. From there I can confirm if the 1250 will be strong enough.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)