SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balances keep popping out of shoe

A handy person from Atlanta says:
I bought the pivot bar that fits this 15-045 shoe (perfect fit) and some new balances. My balances keep popping out of the shoe as well. I thought it could be a problem with the shoe, but all four balances do the same thing (the old ones popped out too, and were a bit tight, so I bought new ones thinking it would solve the problem. The picture on Swisco's website doesn't show the shoe gap for the balance straight-on to compare with my shoes. There is nothing to hold the balance rod to keep it from turning from turning. When I engage the balance in the shoe, the top pins sit at an angle against the balance torque. Seconds or minutes later, they pop out of the shoes. Sorry, I don't have access to take a picture before I go back to repair them, as they are in my rental property. It seems there should be something in the shoe to hold them, but since it's all four, I thought I would ask if I am doing something wrong before ordering four new shoes. Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I just did some experiments with our 15-045 shoe and Series 900 balance. Try this: with the sash out, install the 15-045 shoe in the track and lock it about 12" above the sill. Now, screw in the balance at the top hole of the track, bring the spiral to the nylon bearing, hook on the 75-006 tool to the bottom cross pin and turn the spiral about three turns to charge the balance. This is standard procedure. Next you want to pull down the spiral to the pivot shoe, slip the bottom of the spiral in the cut out so the top cross pin is under the locking device groove and then push it in the center groove. That should prevent spiral from coming out.
A quick learner from Atlanta says:
Thanks for the research. Sounds exactly like what I did, but I didn't have a "center groove." I didn't have any groove to speak of really, just a gap that did not touch the balance on either side. The pins just pushed against the locking device groove stops. Perhaps I will try ordering the new shoes. There's not a straight on picture of the 15-045 that I could see before ordering, is there? Thanks again.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. If your old shoes don't have the same center groove that the 15-045 has then my method would not work. If you want, you can take a picture of your existing shoe and I can see if I can think of something else.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)