SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balances missing

A handy person from Walnut Creek CA says:
I have a Philips single hung window that the balances are missing on, I have no information other than that it is a philips window, single hung clear on bottom with grids on top fixed sash. there is no takeout clip as shown in your video. When I remove the bottom sash, there was a plastic piece attached with 1 screw.
How do I identify which one I have?

Thank you
Vernon
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
these 2 pictures are of only piece left, it was screwed into frame on one side and obviously broken.
User submitted photos of a top sash guide.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The top sash guide in your second set of pictures resembles our 18-008, however I cannot identify what balance you have based on this part alone. Do you have an identical window elsewhere in your house that may have the same hardware? We can use that as a reference.
in trying to do that I am having a very difficult time getting the bottom sash out of any of the other windows, I lift up to find spot where they should come out of channel but not have much luck, any ideas? Do I need to disconnect the hook and string that I can see looking down between 2 sashes?
Profile picture of Tom
Assuming these windows are the same as your first picture, then they should be non-tilt window channel balances. See our video below for instructions on how to remove this kind of hardware.
A contractor from Walnut Creek CA says:
here are some more pictures and the numbers off the right and left balances

left side: 31-4-FS Caldwell
right side : 31-4-BS Caldwell

Jamb Channel is 7/8" deep and 1 1/8" wide

I will need all parts for the balances

hope this will confirm for you
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. You either have our Series 380 or Series 385 depending on the depth of your shoe. Measure your shoe and see which is closer. Make sure to account for wear; in other words, keep in mind the shoe depth may be a little less than it was originally.
does the number on the balance in picture not tell us what is needed
Thank you
Profile picture of Tom
I'm afraid not. That number only tells us how strong the spring is. In order to identify the Series, you need to match up your nylon ends with the hardware I've recommended.
Is there anything else you need before I bother my client again. Size, shape, color
Thanks again
Vernon
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I don't think so. I think you have either the S380-32 with a 3140 option, or an S385-32 with a 3140 option. You just need to determine which is closer.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)