SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balances since 1966

A quick learner from Florida says:
I bought my house in 1968. It has spiral balances in one window, dating to 1966. The windows measure 52" W x 26" H

The bottom sash moves up and down on plastic spiral 23" long, 3/8" wide.

About 1/4" from the end, at the top, is a rivet to hold the balance to the jamb.

It looks exactly like your series 300, but I can't see the red tip. The shoe and everything else looks like your 300, but my shoe is aluminum.

I can't figure out how to remove the spiral piece that is connected to the aluminum shoe. The shoe will slide from the very bottom of the window to the top, in a track that has a capture. BUt I don't see any way to take it out.

The balances have not worked for the past several years. It's time to replace them.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure exactly what it is you have. Could you show us some pictures showing the balance and the shoe? That will give us a better idea of what you have and what can be done to replace it.
A quick learner from Florida says:
Here are pictures. the sash weight is 15-1/2#
User submitted photo of their balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the pictures. You do have a very old window. Those fittings aren't made anymore. I think I can recommend a substitution, though. Consider using our S300-23 spiral balance with a Red Tip and 15-020 shoe. I would also recommend our 17-014 and 17-015 sash clips. What do you think?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)