SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Balcony Door Gap at the top

A quick learner from West new york, nj says:
Hello. I have an issue that I could not solve. I found your site by searching the manufacturer inscribed on the handle of my balcony doors. At the top where the doors overlap, there is a a gap of about 2 inches over the moving door; between top of door and top rail. Since it is a moving door, any insulation falls out. Any suggestions?
User submitted a photo of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It looks like what you need is a top draft plug. We used to carry something that could have worked, but it has since been discontinued. Replacement parts for older aluminum doors are getting harder to come by. Many manufacturers are slowly phasing out this kind of door.

One idea would be to make your own plug. I would use a piece of flat aluminum cut to size. You would then drill a hole to accept the top screw in the door and glue a type of foam weather stripping to make your own plug. You may want to check with a local hardware store and see what they recommend.
A professional from California says:
This door was made to use mohair weather-strip in the sides of the top rail. Probably 1/4" backing.
You may be able to replace that with better results.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)