Ballast Tension

A handy person from Antioch, TN says:
With 167 pages of discussion and no "search" function, I'm going to take a chance on double posting here. I hope no one minds.

I'm looking to replace ballasts that I suspect may have been mistakenly installed at the factory. I assume that the "stamp" options pertain to spring tension. Is this correct, and is it possible that ballast displacement/failure could be remedied by a "step up" in tension, particularly if they were wrongly installed in the first place? Would this involve simply choosing whatever stamp number is higher and available among the choices given on the part order page?

I understand that too much tension makes the window difficult to close, but I'm sure one step up won't be too much. Plus, the possibility of spending $25 as opposed to $250 to have working windows seems worth it.

Is there any other hardware option that might help keep them in place?

Thank you for your assistance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

To get started, can you please submit a few photos of your window balance so we can take a look? This will give us a better idea of what specific balance you have, therefore allowing us to asses your situation more accurately.
Photos per request: Stamp is 2420.
User submitted photo of channel balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at the Series 351 Channel Balance.

Can you give us the length of the channel portion of the balance? I'm thinking it should be 25".

Also, take a look at the bottom shoe attachment on the Series 351, the 15-002 Shoe. Compare the measurements of your attachment to the ones listed online.
25" is correct. I had guessed series 390 with the 15-001, because it's shoe looked to have more similarly rounded bottom-front corners. However, now that I measure, the 15-001 doesn't seem right, either. The 15-003 bottom dimension of 1 3/16" looks right, but it doesn't give the front slope. It looks like mine is 1 1/8". I'm glad I asked before ordering.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I am a little confused, do you not think the 15-002 is the shoe you have?

Here are some more dimensions of the 15-003 shoe.

Alternate view of 15-003
Alternate view of 15-003

I am quite sure that it isn't the 15-002, since the bottom dimension of mine is 1 3/16", while that of the 15-002 is 1", according to the illustration. Sorry for not being clear. I think I see why you were confused.

Thank you for the additional info on the 15-003. It definitely looks like the one I need, the only problem being that the ballasts that use this shoe(series 710) don't use the top I need.
Profile picture of Paul
The depth of the shoe is the most critical measurement.

We can custom make any balance you want. Here is a custom order balance form for a 25" balance with a 19-002 top and a 15-003 shoe with the option 2420.
Thank you for your help. Actually the main purpose of my initial query was to determine whether an increase in tension would be appropriate, and more specifically, if it might help prevent displacement/dislodging, as these have undergone, thus necessitating their replacement. I also mentioned suspecting mistaken installation at the factory, but I checked one of the other windows and it has the same ballast. Is there still any reason to try a different tension (assuming that the 4 digit stamp correlates)?
Profile picture of Paul
The life cycle of a channel balance is about 5 - 10 years, regardless of what weight you choose.
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.