SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need spiral sash balances for 1946 Windows

A quick learner from Texas says:
We are restoring the double hung windows in my 1946 home in Texas . We are not sure how they are to be installed.

Does the upper and lower sash get a spiral balance?

Some of the 14 windows we removed had two sets, some had one set and some had none.

I am sending you a couple of photos of these spiral balances.

I would like to be able to move both the upper and lower sashes inthe future.

We have 14 of these that are 29 1/2 inches long measuring from the top of the tube down to include the round base before the angle piece that goes under the sash.

We have 8 of the shorter balances measuring 27 1/2 inches
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Looks like these are old spiral balances for non-tilt wood windows. We typically recommend our Series 500 spiral balance as a replacement, along with either our 17-007 or 17-012 bracket. Just double check to make sure the diameter of your tube is 5/8".

Now, the length of this kind of balance is determined by measuring the tube, and the color of the tip is determined by weighing the sash. For sashes with missing balances, it will be a little trickier to find a good replacement. If you give us the height and width of the visible glass and the weight of the sash itself, then we can recommend both the length and appropriate tip color.

You may also want a charging tool like our 75-005 to make installation easier.
A quick learner from Texas says:
Some of my original message does not appear. These are indeed 5/8 inch tubes.
I also indicated that I have 4 similar tubes to these that have plastic tubes around them which are almost destroyed as they are cracked and coming apart.
One is the shorter and 3 are the taller. Can we use these? are there plastic covers to be had to cover the spring?

The visible glass in both the lower and upper sash is 26 X 26. I know because I have broken almost all of them while attempting to remove them for stripping :)
The weight of an upper sash without the glass is 5 pounds. I don't have a bathroom scale but I would imagine the glass adds about 5 pounds to that.

My question remains. Do we install 4 of them(two on the top and two on the bottom?)

My thanks to your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
There was a company making these balances is plastic tubes at one time, but now we only carry metal tubes. The great thing about metal tubes is that they don't break apart like the plastic ones do, and can work just as well.

For the wood sash with 26" x 26" glass, I recommend the S500-27 for the top sash and S500-29 for the bottom sash. Since you are stripping and re-glazing, I would use all new balances. The Red color tip will be fine for all size balances, and you would install two balances per sash (one on each side).
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)