SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Bechmark door tracks are missing

A home owner from USA says:
Contractor tossed the tracks for our Benchmark Metal closet doors, circa 1979. Tracks, top and bottom, were 1 1/2"w by 1/2"h, 48" long. Doors are 89 1/2" h and need to fit in an opening 90 1/2" h. Depending on solution, may have to notch ceiling.

Doors have 1/4" pins with 3/8" caps. so the pivots need to be able to handle that.

Pics attached show floor and ceiling of an existing door. Then I have shown the base and the top of the doors we need to mount. Also, an open view of one of the sections.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
User submitted photos of a bi-fold door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The only track we have available that could fit your nylon pin cap would be our 21-404. However, it is 5/8" in height and you say you only have 1" to play with. You will have to notch ceiling. Also, looking at your photos, I see that you are missing a pin cap. You may want to look at our 21-100 and see if this is a match.
A home owner from Virginia says:
I have located four (4) original pivot brackets and several sections of track. I need 48" of track, top and bottom, but the sections I have are 24 and 36 inches. I could splice them together at the mid-point so operation would not be affected, but the joint would show. The pivot brackets are 3/4"wide at the top, 3/8 at the center and 7/16 at the base. Top to bottom, 1/2". Looks like it might work in the 48"low-profile track 21-453 as a replacement for the pivot bracket. I could remove the 3/8" cap on my pins to use the roll guide instead.

What do you think about this approach? Short of finding some neat way to splice two sections of track, this may be worth a try.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Personally, I think you should stay with the 48" long track. We don't have anything with that exact size, though. Your only two options at this point may be to use the 21-404 and notch the ceiling, or go with the low profile 21-453 and remove the nylon caps off of the pins. You may also need to do some filing to make the pins fit.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)