SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Bedroom window won't close

A quick learner says:
Hi SWISCO team,

We recently moved into this house about 8 months ago and the window was working fine. It's been closed shut during Winter and Spring but now that we've just opened it to replace the window screen, the window won't close anymore.

As you'll see from the pictures, the arm isn't connected to the bottom of the window sash. When we tried to place the arm back in the slot under the window, it opens the window but pops back out when we try to close the window using the crank handle.

Also, there is a rotten piece which doesn't move AT ALL and I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. I saw your very helpful video on youtube on "How to Replace a Casement Window Operator" but on my casement window, I can't find where the screws would be to remove the handle or the cover. I think they may be beneath the operator. Does this mean I have to remove my entire window now?! I'm worried about the cost overall since we've constantly been replacing things in this house. Things that the house inspection agent didn't notice or mention prior to us getting the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! We've been using a small string to pull the window back in for now.

Thanks a bunch!
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I can't see the track in which your operator bearing rides, so I'm not sure why it's popping out. Your hinge is the rusted part. It looks like our 36-013-10. Check it out and see if you agree. It's possible that the bad hinge prevents the window from operating properly.

I see the screws holding the operator down in the fourth picture above. If you remove those screws, it should just come out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)