SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Best Door Closer for Steel Doors

A home owner from Illinois says:
Dear Swisco,(sent email first and then found this section to your website so re sending)

Finally, after 17 years of my family NOT closing doors, I realized I needed an automated solution so started googling "How to Install a Door Closer" and found your company/website/uTube video. Better late than never, I guess on thinking about options! I have two steel doors that I am looking for the right door closers. What would you recommend? Also, can you set the tension in the door closer for faster or shorter closing?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure what to recommend. If your door is on the light side, consider our 40-181. If it is heavy, though, then you might need to use a commercial door closer like our 79-253. If you can, I'd like to see some photos of the doors you have so we can get a better idea of what to recommend.

A home owner from Illinois says:
Thank you for your prompt reply. Here are door pictures. Two other questions - does drilling holes in steel doors damage the door in anyway re: functionality and can the door closing devices be colored to match door color?

Thanks! Happy New Year!
User submitted photos of door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Sharon. How about our 40-189? I have installed this on interior doors with a lot of success. I find it very easy to install. You can also adjust the tension depending on the weight of the door. Take a look at our related video, as well.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)