SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Better Built window balance parts

A home owner from USA says:
I have Better Built windows, at least thats the name. I got some of the new plastic pieces that slide up and down in the frame that the ballancer attaches to from you a few months ago (15-045). They are exactly like the original ones. Problem is that when I put them back together I have the same problem. The pin on the spring loaded ballancer that is supposed to engage in the new plastic piece that I got from you doesn't grab. It simply spins and the window doesn't stay up. I can't be the only person with this problem I'm sure. Do you have a fix or am I doing something wrong?
Thank you for your advice.

Tim
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, Tim. What do you mean when you say the balance doesn't grab? Do you mean that when you put it in the 15-045, it doesn't stay in? Or that once they're in, the windows still droop?

If it's the former, then I'm not sure why that's happening. Are the tips of the spiral balances damaged in any way that would prevent them from staying in the shoe? Could I see a few pictures of the balance in the shoe (as best as you can) to see what the problem may be?

If it's the latter, then it sounds like the balances simply aren't charged enough. Check out the video below to see how to properly charge the balances so that the windows stay up.
A quick learner from USA says:
I have attached some pics.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. I agree that the 15-045 pivot shoe is a good match. If anything, it's possible that the balance is the problem. It might be sprung. To see if this is the case, push the spiral up into the tube with your finger. It should twist freely. If not, it should be replaced. Based on your pictures, you may have our Series 900 spiral balance, but just make sure the specs all match up.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)