SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Bilt-Well double hung window balances

A quick learner from Indianapolis, IN says:
I have Bilt-Well double hung windows circa 1962. Bilt-Well is now Eagle & part of Andersen. They have plastic balance boxes with the number 79 stamped on the end and measure 8" long, 3 1/4" wide and 1" high. Can you tell me which Andersen balance would replace the old Bilt-Well one, or if not what the Andersen balance sizes are and what loads (window weights) they're rated for.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The Andersen balance measures 6 3/8" long, 3" wide and 3/4" tall. We cannot guaranteed they will work. Respond with the weight of the sash so that I can match it up to the appropriate replacement Andersen balance.
The window weighs 23 pounds.
Profile picture of Paul
Before we begin making recommendations, can you please give us the top and bottom visible width and height of the glass?
Not sure why this matters but the top of each window has 2 rows with 4 panes of glass and the bottom has 3 rows of 4 panes each. The visible window (behind the moulding) is 42 7/8" wide. The glass (including the wood mounts) measures 39/38" wide.
User submitted image of window.
Profile picture of Paul
You said the window weighs 23 lbs. Begin by taking a look at the 24-1231 Andersen Sash Balance. Now, this balance can hold an approximate weight of 24 lbs. (if two are used by a sash). Based on the information you've submitted, this could possibly work. Keep in mind, however, that this is for an Andersen window and may not work for your application.
A quick learner says:
Will try it...
A contractor from Indianapolis says:
I would like to know the outcome of the Indianapolis gentleman who tried the Andersen balances. I visited a home today that needs several bilt well balances replaced

Perry
A quick learner says:
The balances are thinner than the original but fit and work fine.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)