SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Bottom sash hardware

A quick learner from Missouri says:
My contractor gave me your name when he located your part 26-297 for my windows. What it looks like to me is the tensioner and the part that accepts the post 26-297 is all one part. I tried getting one out, but no luck. The spiral end shown on your home page looks like my tensioner. The double lock end fits in the part I am asking about as well as part 26-297. There may be 2 parts snapped together but I could not tell. The tensioner end is slipping out of the slider. When you get back in any help you could give would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Mel W.
User submitted photo of their spiral balance and pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The spiral part in the picture is your spiral window balance. You can find them in our window sash support catalog section. The rectangular plastic piece is called the pivot shoe. The spiral piece may be slipping out of the pivot shoe because of a lack of tension and/or the pivot shoe is damaged. You can use our 75-006 charging tool to try to add tension to your spiral balance. If the spiral balance fails to gain tension that is a sign that you need a new spiral balance. See this discussion if you need instructions on how to replace the pivot shoe.
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your help and link. It looks like I need to cut a slot to get the pivot shoe out and measure it and order a few of them. I assume they will work left or right side? Also, do you have a sealant for the beveled corners of the windows. I have a few with splits in them.

Thnaks again for your help
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
If you're going to cut a notch in the track, you must cut it behind the window stops (so not to interfere with the operation of the window). The window stops are located in the top of the inside track and the bottom of the outside track.

As for the sealant in the corners, you will need a type of caulk or sealant that will adhere to vinyl. Be sure to clean out the area so the sealant will stick.
Thank you Dave,

My windows only move on the bottome sash. So, I'll try to take the window apart this weekend and cut out a small section at the top of the bottom sash so I can get a good measurement on the pivot shoe and hopefully get the order sent in.

Thanks again.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)