Broken Balance Spring

A home owner from Atlanta Metropolitan area says:
We have CertainTeed windows that were installed in 1992. On two of the windows the balance spring has broken, most of the spring is still attached to to the spindle and a portion of the spring is at the bottom of the window attached, presumably, to the pivot bar. If you remove the window from the casing will that part of the spring come out with it? Also, everyone says there should be a number stamped on the spring. Where can that number be found?

Thank you for your help as I am getting desperate to find this part.
A customer subumitted image of a coil balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
When you remove the sash, you should then be able to remove the spring and pivot shoe. I believe CertainTeed has a cut out in the track for this. As for the stamp, you should find it printed on one end of the spring.
I found the number stamped on the spring - it is 407. But that leads to another problem, the window will not come out of the casing because it (I guess) has a part of the spring still attached. When you respond, would you please advise how to get the window out of the casing. Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
I believe now that your balance coil is our S170-407. To remove your sash, please refer to this tutorial on how to Install Channel Balances, the beginning of which details how to remove your window sash.
A quick learner from Atlanta says:
The tutorial was interesting but our windows have the coil spring balance. The spring broke and part of the coil is still attached to the window and I can't remove that part of the coil balance. So what I need to know is how do you remove the pivot bar from the window when part of the coil spring is still attached to it and I cannot get the window out of the frame.
Profile picture of Paul
The tilt bar does not attach to the spring. Rather, it fits into the round cam in the pivot shoe. Since the spring is attached to the pivot and the other end is attached to the round bushing screw in the frame, you will want to remove the pivot shoe.
I'm making some progress, I have learned how to remove the broken spring from pivot shoe by removing the screw that held it in the pivot shoe. But now how do you replace the spring? One end attaches to the pivot shoe and the rest of the spring is on a reel above or below it. There's probably a simply answer but I'm not seeing it. Also, if you have a tutorial about replacing a coil spring, I would love to see it. Thanks.
Thanks for all your help. I received the springs and was able to put them in one of the windows but now I'm having trouble putting the window back in. Any helpful hints on how to reinsert it.
Profile picture of Paul
Make sure the pivot shoe cams are in the up position so you can lay in the sash with the pivot bars into place, then swing up the sash in to the track.
Is the window inserted in the pivot shoe from the side or does it drop in from the top. If it drops in from the top, then should the window be in a horizonal position otherwise you're trying to insert a square peg into a round hole, so to speak.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Due to the interest in this particular subject, we are currently filming a tutorial video on how to install a coil balance. We hope to have it up sometime next week. We will post an update in this discussion when the video has been completed. Thank you for your patience!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Please refer to our new video tutorial guide on how to replace a coil balance:

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.