SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken Balance hook

A home owner from Yucca Valley, CA says:
The hook which is screwed to the window that attaches to the Sash Support Channel Balance Shoe has broken. I
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure exactly what it is you have. Please take a few pictures of the hardware in question and we can work from there. Thanks!
A quick learner from Yucca Valley, California says:
Dave,

Attached are a couple of photos of the window frame showing (sort of) the intact "hook" attached to the side of the window, and the broken "hook" on the other side of the window.

I need to replace the broken "hook," although I probably ought to replace both of the "hooks."

Thanks,

Peter
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, Peter. Could I see a few pictures of the balance itself? If you can, please remove the balance from the window beforehand so that we can see it in clearer detail.
Paul,

Attached are some more photos. The overhead balance housing is approx. 34 3/4" from side to side, 1 inch high, 1 5/16th deep. It is, as is probably apparent, a double balance mechanism. Each channel balance is 1/2" x 13/16" X 16 1/4", riveted at the center of the housing.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Here are a couple more snaps...
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. You will need a new balances. This is a special system that will have to be custom made, as well. Can you please tell me how heavy your sash is? Can you also tell if there are any stamps printed on the balance itself?
A quick learner from Phoenix Arizona says:
I have almost the same balance as shown above. my is 19 3/4 long, 3/4" high and 1/2" wide. It has 2 springs with wire and a three pull system. The stamped on the balance is 153F, the window weighs 14 lbs. the last two pictures show a swagged hook that inserts in to the 15-209 balance end bracket. I have one complete original balance (old) that I could send if there is not enough info to have two costumed made. How much would it cost to have two balances custom make?

Mike
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, and for your patience! We can custom make this balance for you, yes. I have e-mailed you a special ordering link. You should receive it shortly.
A quick learner from Phoenix Arizona says:
I received my special order balance a few days ago and just wanted to say thanks. It fit great after a little adjustment to the aluminum channel.
The hook for lifting the window is so simple and easy. I'm a happy camper
Thanks
Mike
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)