SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken Locking Metal Door Mechanism

A quick learner from USA says:
I talked to your customer service today about my problem with my slider door's broken lock. I am forwarding this email, with photos, so that you can determine if you have a replacement locking mechanism.

Door brand: AMSCO. Purchased 20-25 years ago in Salt Lake City.
Hole to hole center: 3 15/16
Door thickness: 1 inch
Original lock made by Allen-Stevens, N.Y.C.
Inside lock is Allen-Stevens, N.Y.C., RD 1965. Appears they are out of business.Note that the "broke off" 1/2" x 1/4" cylinder that goes into the door frame and the connector screw goes through is necessary to precent lock movement inside the door frame once the lock is installed. You can see this piece on the outside part in photo (next photo).
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You can consider our 82-003 handle set as a replacement. If can't reuse your exterior handle with the same key tumbler, look at our 82-301 and install that in the 82-003 exterior handle. We also have a limited supply of the 89-027 door keeper.
A quick learner from Salt Lake City says:
Paul, thanks for your reply. Questions:

1. Is 82-003 for replacing the inside handle only, i.e., I would use the old lock mechanism and outside handle with present love core and key?

2. You don't discuss the 1/2"x1/4" cylinder that must be part of the inside replacement door handle to prevent lateral movement, once mounted (see photo with holes in door frame and outside mounting handle).

3. Your 82-003 schematic shows the brown wooden handle on the right side od the mounting place. Mine is to the left so the slider can be fully closed and locked. Can 82-003 be flipped around so that the handle is to the left of the locking mechanism so the door can be fully closed?

Sorry, I'm not s locksmith and I hate to buy items that don't work. My five photos should leave no doubt as to what is needed.

Thanks much.

J. Williams

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The 82-003 comes with an inside handle (that can be flipped to work on either side), an outside handle, latch hook, and all fasteners needed for a standard installation. I recommend carefully going over the 82-003 store page, we show multiple images detailing every part that comes with the set.

The 82-003 does not come with a key cylinder, but we believe you can use the 82-301 by installing it in the exterior handle that comes with the 82-003. The keepers that come with the 82-003 set also don't match yours, but our 89-027 does.

I do not know about your second question. I see nothing in your pictures that doesn't match the hardware I've mentioned. Do you mean the latch hook? The 82-003 comes with a latch hook. We list its dimensions on the 82-003 store page, if you want to make sure it's the same.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)