SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken Pivot Bars

A handy person from Apex, NC says:
I have windows made by West Window Corp of Martinsville, VA. I am going to replace some 3/8" spiral window balances, but one window has both pivot bars broken off. I've included photos of the window corners with broken and unbroken bars, as well as a shot of the balance shoe.

I don't know if it's possible to identify the part from this, but I can't figure out how to remove a working pivot bar. After removing both screws, I can't get anything to budge to allow me to get inside.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. You might want to take a look at our 26-129. Could you use this as a replacement? I think it's the newer style of your existing pivot bar, which isn't made anymore.
A handy person from Apex says:
Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any suggestions for getting the pivot bar out of the frame? After removing the 2 obvious screws, nothing seems willing to move.
I'm worried that this mfgr has glued the entire assembly together.

Rick.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmmm... if they don't just come out, you may have to take apart the sash. You have a very difficult sash to take apart, too. Besides the screws, there are clips built into the fittings that lock the frame together. You need to press in the clips to release the frames. If you've never done this before, you may want the help of someone who has.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)