SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken Sliding Door Latch Lever

A quick learner from Wooster, Ohio says:
I have a broken latch lever for a sliding patio door. I can not find any markings on the door or the handle anywhere to give me an idea of the manufacturer. I've tried buying a replacement handle from my local box store, but found that the orientation of the handle to the the flat bar was not correct and would not fit my door. As you can see, the handle has a "+" shape to allow the flat bar to be adjusted if necessary. Either orientation is roughly 45degrees to the handle, and I have not been able to find a replacement to suit. Can you help?
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I don't believe that turn lever you have is available anymore. This is an old handle set. You might have to replace the complete set with something like our surface-mount 82-033. Compare the installation hole spacing with your handle and let me know if this can work as a substitute.
A professional from California says:
That type of handle should be able to use 82-230, 82-231, 82-237 depending on the length you need. Although if the mortise lock is one of the 90 degree type, neither these or the new handle would work. You might need to get a 45 degree mortise.
I have gotten the 90 degree to work by twisting the shaft. 82-230 could also be a good option because the shaft spins 360 degrees, but you would likely need new screw holes.
Just some things to consider.
I just noticed 82-230 does not come with an outside handle and your existing one probably doesn't have the required 5-12" holes. Another thing to consider.
Correction: 5-1/2"
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)