SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken Sliding Door Lock SGD-R20

A home owner from Denton, Texas says:
I have an SGD-R20 94 x 80 sliding glass door.

The lock gets stuck in the closed position when I move the handle. It can be manually moved but the door is now very difficult to lock.

Door Lock measurements: 3-3/4 inches between the screws.

Door handle measurements: 7 - 1/8 inches length
4 inches between the screws

The handle seems OK. It is the locking mechanism that gets stuck in the closed position.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sounds like you need a new mortise lock. See our 82-218 and let me know if this is a good match.
A home owner from Denton, Texas 76207 says:
You recommended the 82-218 mortise lock. It looks identical to what I have on the door now.

I watched your installation videos and I have two questions.

1. I need to replace the existing mortise lock. Do I have to completely remove both the inside and outside handles?

2. If I do have to remove the handles and I remove the lock, how do I prevent the lock from dropping through the door after removing the screws?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Removing the inside and outside handles will allow you to remove the mortise lock, yes. Did you see the video we have for the 82-218? In it, Mike grips the thumb lever with a pair of pliers to prevent it from falling into the door.
A professional from California says:
I prefer inserting a screwdriver into the bottom handle hole, so do both for extra security. Your door is aluminum, so the following does not apply, but this also prevents the inner metal support used in some vinyl doors from falling. If that part falls it can be difficult to raise it back to the correct position. www.thepatiodoorguy.com
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)