SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken Window Crank Handle with no Markings

A home owner from Boston, MA says:
I have an odd shaped end to a broken window crank handle that needs to be replaced. There are no markings on the window handle. From the picture are you able to identify a replacement part?
User submitted photo of their window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Is there any way you can remove that broken end from the operator? That's actually still part of the handle and should come off. I would like to see the spline underneath. I would also like to know the size of the spline. Thank you!
That really helped. Thank you. I did not realize that spline was under the broken end. I pulled it off with pliers - there is no set screw. The diameter of the hole of the broken crank handle piece that was on the spline measured 7/16"
User submitted a photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... that's not a very common spline size. The only one we have with a 7/16" spline is our 39-195. I recommend that you triple check your measurement just to be sure. Based on what I see in your pictures, it looks closer to the style that uses an 11/32" sized spline.
Thank you. You are correct it is 11/32".
I will get the Folding Crank Handle
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)