SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken base of rod/spring/ string system

A home owner from Greenville, SC says:
It is the base of the spring, rod, string system that holds the window in place when open. This part is broken on both sides. Since all the windows in my house are like this it might be good if I could get a number of these plastic parts.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting! This looks like a shoe for our Series 850 balance. Unfortunately, this shoe is not available separately. If yours has broken, then you will have to replace the entire balance.

Do you know the length of the balance? The color of the shoe is important, and we only have a few lengths that have it in red. See our S850-28, S850-30, and S850-34. If the length of your balance does not match any of these, let me know and I will see what I can do.
A home owner from Greenville SC says:
The actual rod measures 25.25"

The spring measures 15.75 "

Seems unbelievable that you do not sell the shoe. It appears to be a part very prone to breaking.
Profile picture of Tom
Unfortunately, the shoe is attached directly to the spring, whose tension is too high to attempt putting on another shoe.

As for the length, I will need the entire length together, if you can. Do you have an undamaged balance you can look at? Look at the image below to see how we measure length.

A quick learner from Greenville sc says:
It measures 26.5. By the way, I had it apart and completely reassembled it, so I would be able to attach new shoes only.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! Take a look at our S850-26 balance, which has a Red Tip option. Let me know what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)