SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken tension string in window Channel balance

A home owner from CA says:
Hello, one of my window channel balances recently broke (the tension string). How do I go about ordering the correct one?

There are no markings other than the numbers and letters listed below:

28.5 GX CMC 11

The metal part is about 28.5 inches and the width is 1/2". Thank you
A customer submitted image of their channel balance attachment.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 380 or our Series 385 balances.

Now, as you can see, there is only one difference between these two Series, and that is their bottom shoe. The Series 380 uses the 15-005 while the Series 385 uses the 15-004. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
15-004 and 15-005
Ok. Thanks. I've narrowed it down to 15-004. Now which option do I choose for the sash weight? Thanks. Is that what the "11" means on the stamp of the channel balance? The full stamp says "28.5 GX CMC 11"
Profile picture of Tom
I think the 28.5 is what you should consider, though usually there isn't a decimal. That tends to correspond with our 2850 option. However, I recommend that you weigh your window sash just to make sure that this is the correct choice.
Ok I've received my 15-004 order.

One problem and its a good up on my end. Everything is fine except the original metal channel measures 29" and the ones I purchased were 28".

I installed the new 28" ones and they seem to work fine. Any negatives I should know about the 1" difference or would it be ok?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Hmmm... there could be some problems later on down the line. There may be too much pressure put on the spring. They may be working fine now, but keep an eye on it. If you feel any resistance, then it could be a sign the balances are failing.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to return them and get the 29". It might save me some trouble in the long run. I also think I ordered the wrong weight for my sash. It's a bit more difficult to close. My sash weighs 35lbs. Which weight option should I choose for the series 385 with 15-004?

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
For the S385-29, I recommend the 2860 option. Two balances with this option can carry a window sash weight of 32 through 35 pounds.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)