SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken thumb turn

A home owner from Minnesota says:
I seem to have broken the thumb turn on my 15+ year old patio door and I cannot find a replacement anywhere. The rest of he equipment seems to be in working order, but I can't lock the door and I need to be able to do that with a two and three year old.

The thumb piece looks to be slotted with one of the metal tines snapped off. It seems like I can find a single tine solution with no problem, but the double tine doesn't exist.

Do you have an parts that might fit, or can you suggest all new parts so I can lock my door again? I think it's called a two point mortise lock, and those don't seem to be very popular. At least not this century.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Jay
User submitted a photo of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Jay. This handle looks very similar to our 82-034, however that thumb turn is not available separately since it is pressed into the metal at the factory. You may have to replace the whole handle set.
A quick learner says:
Really? No other options that would work? Will this work with me existing 2 point mortise lock, or does it come with a replacement?

Thanks again,

Jay
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, that is just how these handles are made. The thumb latch was not meant to come out or be replaced. There isn't much else we can do about that. I know it's a pain, but replacing the handle set is the best alternative that we have. I can't guarantee that the 82-034 is an exact match, but it looks pretty similar and I think you should consider it.

Now, the 82-034 does not come with a mortise lock. As for whether or not your original will work, in most cases if it's still functioning well then you can reuse it. However, when a lever breaks, sometimes it's a sign that there's a problem with the mortise and it bears a closer look. Without knowing any more detailed dimensions, I think our 82-239 looks pretty similar, but see if you agree.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)