SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Broken window latch & guide (double hung window)

A handy person from Sunnyvale, CA says:
I've attached 2 pictures. The first is of a broken double hung window latch (right hand side). The second is a broken window lock (from the same window). There is no printed info to be found on the window model/make. Sorry, I don't have any measurements for you (the photo was sent to me by a customer of mine...I'm a handyman). If its necessary to have the measurements to positively identify the parts, let me know and I'll get them from my customer. Thank you for your help.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, dimensions are very important. We will especially need to know the distance between the screw holes, center-to-center. However, in the meantime, check out our 26-193 and 26-194 for the tilt latch.

As for the lock, is there any way I could see a picture of one that is undamaged, in addition to getting the dimensions? That will be a huge help. Thanks!
A handy person from Sunnyvale says:
OK, I have the dimensions of both the tilt latch and sash lock, and a picture of an unbroken sash lock.

The sash lock is 3" lg x 3/4" wide, with 2 1/2" between the screws. There is a logo shown on the picture I've included. Hopefully, that will be a good clue as to who makes it.

The tilt latch is 3 1/2" long x 3/4" wide, with 2 1/2" between the screws.

All help is appreciated. thanks.
User submitted photos of a window lock.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter. We have a new lock in that might work for you. Check out our new 90-287 and see what you think.

As for the tilt latches, they don't seem to match our 26-193 and 26-194 exactly, but those are the closest matches that we do have. Do you think you could adapt them to work for your windows?
A handy person from Sunnyvale, CA says:
Both the tilt latches and sash lock would probably work, but it looks like it may be necessary to make new holes in the window frame, as the holes will likely not perfectly line up. Are there possible issues for making new holes in vinyl that are very close to existing holes? With wood, this can be difficult as the screws wants to "skate" into the old hole, or you end up with one enlarged "super hole" that won't hold a screw. Any tips would be appreciated!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I would line it up to one of the existing holes for the old window lock and then make just one more hole for other screw. For the top tilt latch, line up the hole closest to the end of the sash and drill new hole for other screw, same as the lock.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)