SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Brosco vinyl window balances

A quick learner from Massachusetts says:
Attached is my balance from my Brosco vinyl window jamb liner. I have taken a close up of the pivot shoe. You will note that the cord is attached to the pivot shoe through a hole and is tied with a knot to hold it in place.

Mark
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon, Mark. I think we can help, but we will need more information on this balance before we go any further. That way, we can know for sure what would work best. Please give me the length and height of the ribbed metal channel. Please also give me the width, height, and thickness of the pivot shoe. Thanks!
A home owner from Massachusetts says:
Good morning, Paul. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The information you requested is as follows:

Metal ribbed balance channel - 23 inches long 5/8 inches high

Pivot shoe - 1 and 7/8 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 3/8 inch thickness

Profile picture of Paul
I was unable to locate your pivot shoe, but I came up with a balance system that I think could work for you as a substitute. See our S750-23 with spring weight of 22HD. You would also need a 19-029 top short clip to install it. Finally, see our 15-109 tie bar guide, which is 1" wide by 3/8" thick. The 1-1/4" height is not critical in the performance of the guide. This should replace your old pivot shoe. Look over this hardware and see if you could get it to work.
A home owner from Massachusetts says:
Paul, Thank you for doing this research. I will try these replacement parts. However, since my balance is fine, and only my pivot shoe is broken, I will first order only the 15-109 tie bar guide and the 15-112 channel balance shoe, to see if these work. I also plan to order the 75-069 jamb spreaders so that I do not have to remove the jamb or cut a cutout in the jamb track. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your help. Mark
Profile picture of Paul
I do not believe you will be able to have your current channel balance work with the 15-109. The Series 750 balance has a special hook that interacts with it, but it seems yours just has a knot. That said, it may be worth experimenting with. If you could somehow get it to work, it would certainly make things a lot easier.
A quick learner from East falmouth, MA says:
Thank you, Paul. I will try the 15-109 with my channel balance to see if it will work. If it doesn't, I will order the Series 750 balance. I appreciate all of your effort in this matter. Mark

Profile picture of Paul
Not a problem, Mark. Let me know how it works out.
A quick learner from East Falmouth, MA says:
Hi Pau - I Received the 15-109 Tie Bar Guides and they fit into the
jambliner track fine. However, on the original pivot shoe, you can see from the picture that there is a piece of metal that engages both sides of the jambliner track to lock the pivot shoe in place when the camb is in its open position to receive the sash. There is no similar locking mechanism on the 15-109 Tire Bar Guide. Will it still work? How do I position the Guide to receive the sash when reinstalling it? Thanks for your continued help. Mark
Profile picture of Paul
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. The locking mechanism is from the back of the shoe instead of the sides, like your old pivot shoe. This is because the 15-109 tie bar clip is mostly used by companies with vinyl jamb liners. There is an additional adjustment at the bottom of the 15-109, a 1/16" Allen screw. Hopefully this information helps you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)