SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Bubble Seal Replacement

A home owner from San Diego, CA says:
I have a Kerf Bubble seal for my exterior doors that need to be replaced. What is presently in there appears to be about 3/16" Kerf with a 1/4" bubble and is grey in color. The problem I have is that there are gaps between the door stop and the door as wide as 3/8", so a 1/4" bubble will not work.

I can use either a compatible Kerf with a 3/8" or possibly 7/16" bubble or a stick on collapsable seal. The door stop is 1/2" wide so the backing cannot be larger than 1/2". Pelase advise what are my choices. My primary need to to prevent drafts.

Thank you
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! You might want to consider our 58-056 Swinging Door Compression Foam Seal as a possible replacement. 58-173 is another possibility. Take a look and let me know what you think.
Thank you for the two suggestions, however the groove for the kerf is dead center in a 1/2" door stop. In the case of 58-056 the width is .593" so even if the kerf was centered it would still be too large. The potential problem I see with 58-173 is that the bubble will protude about 1/8" from the door stop and I believe it will overlap the door when it is closed.

Please let me know if I am mistaken and your product is designed to be used in the manner I described above.

It looks like your product 58-053 would do the job if the bubble was at least 3/8"

Let me know your thoughts,
Thank you
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hmm, I'm not sure. I think it might be best at this point if you could show us a few pictures of your existing weatherseal. That would help give us a better idea of what you're working with. If possible, please make sure it's a picture of the cross-section, as I would need to see its shape. Seeing it installed in the window would help in this instance, as well.
Sorry, I just now saw that you posted a reply. I have attached a photo of the weather seal. Please note, this is for an exterior door (not window). The groove for the kerf is centered on a 1/2" door stop. The kerf itself is about 1/4" long and not including the wings, 1/32" thick. The bulb is about 1/4" in diameter. See photo attached.

Hopefully, you have something I can use to fill a 3/8" gap between the door stop and the door when closed.
User submitted a photo of bubble seal.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It definitely looks like our 58-053 is the best match that we have. Are you sure you wouldn't be able to get that to work? We don't have a similar bubbleseal with such a small variation in bubble diameter.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)