SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Bypass door track installation

A quick learner from Reading, PA says:
I would like to modify two hinged doors on a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf to become bypass sliding doors. I feel they would be safer on a bottom-rolling track. Is there a way to use the bottom track without attaching it to the floor. We have concrete floor with carpeting? Can I attach track to bookshelves using braces? Can I attach/install the wheels to a regular solid wood door (not mirrored)?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! We do not have a lower closest door track other than the type used for mirror doors, and I don't think that's going to work in your situation. I feel your best bet would be to use a top roller closet door kit. These have bypass doors slide along a top track, but use floor guides rather than an entire bottom track. Take a look at our 23-500, 23-501, 23-502, and 23-503. They all come with a bottom center guide (23-200) which you mount to the floor. These can be mounted to the cement floor, but you would need to drill holes with a masonry bit, and then secure it with masonry anchors. You can find these at a local hardware store.

You would need to use a board that is both wide and long enough to attach the top track to. This board will need to be mounted using some type of brackets to the book shelf. To be honest, you might want to consider contacting a carpenter or cabinet maker to get their advice on the best method of installation
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)