SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Caldwell Replacement Balances

A home owner from Tampa, FL says:
I need the following Block and Tackle balances replaced I figured the first number is the size and from what I have read the second number and letter combo seem to be the tension for the weights. I have attached a picture below.

4 - 29 3 BL
2 - 29 1 CL
2 - 27 2 DK
2 - 16 1 AL
4 - 10 1 AL

Please let me know which would be suitable for replacement.

Thank you,
User submitted pictures of channel balance.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for submitting your picture and your channel balance information to us.

Now that we have your channel lengths and stamps, we will need to confirm your specific bottom attachment.

Please take a look at this guide to help you determine which attachment you currently have:
Channel balance attachment guide.

After you've identified your attachment, we will then be able to determine your balance replacement Series.
The measurements I took are identical to the 15-002
Profile picture of Mike
Does your shoe have wings? If so, it appears you may have the 15-005 Shoe.
No no wings.
Profile picture of Mike
The image you uploaded above shows both the top and bottom attachments to have wings. Are those images of your current channel balances?
A home owner from Tampa FL says:
The handy man I tried to have fix them put the wing one on. The others he did not touch do not have wings.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
If you want to replace to the original style balance system, without wings, use SWISCO balance Series 351. The Series 351 is a block and tackle channel balance with 15-002 and 19-002 fittings attached.

You gave us the original stamped information in your first post:

29 3: Should measure 30" in length, S351-30, choose stamp option 2930

29 1: Should measure 30" in length, S351-30, choose stamp option 2910

27 2: Should measure 28" in lenght, S351-28, choose stamp option 2720

16 1: Should measure 17" in length, S351-17, choose stamp option 1610

10 1: Should measure 11" in length, S351-11 (custom), you will need stamp 1010

If you find the lengths do not match up as above, let us know the length of the balance (exclude the fittings for this measure) and remove the window sash and place it on a scale to give us the weight of the window sash in pounds. If the lengths did not match up as above, the sash weight is needed to determine the proper stamp option.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)