SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Calwell Bottom Bracket #X54

A landlord from Tampa, FL says:
Dear Swisco,

I have a condo rental built in 1971 with non-tilt sash windows that have Caldwell spiral balances installed. A tenant forced open a window releasing tension of the balances. While I was re-tensioning, one of the bottom brackets failed. I found your website (thank you for that BTW) with what I believe is a workable replacement. Please advise: Is the #X54 a reasonable replacement for a Caldwell T106 foot/bracket? The dimensions and appearances are similar except that the hole on the Caldwell is 1-1/4 in. from where the balance hooks whereas the #X54 looks to be 1-1/2 in. when scaled from web image. I haven't inspected the bottom of the window but I suspect that I can drill a hole in order to accommodate your product. Your comments are appreciated.

cp
User submitted photo of caldwell bottom bracket
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello,
I tried to locate your part #T106 and could not locate it anywhere. I also looked to see if any of our shoes had a 1-1/4" hole from the business end, but could not. I believe you are correct in picking out the #17-007, Bracket (X54). Yes you will have to drill a new hole. I suggest drilling a 1/8" hole and using a #8 pan head screw; possibly 3/8" to 1/2" long. Check the length on your original screw.
A landlord from Tampa, FL says:
Dear Dave,

I didn't mean for you to find a Caldwell part. I was asking more for your advice re: the X54 bracket. Drilling the hole is no problem - thanks for you timely reply.

cp
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)