SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Can I replace my panel clips with the 70-050 spring clips?

A handy person from CT says:
Hi, I have an Aluminum Storm Door which has 6 Panel Clips with the Thumb Screws to hold in either the Window or Screen. I have a problem with 3 of them. The insert in which the Thumb Screw screws into have fallen out and are inside of the door.

I came across your 70-050 7/8" Spring Clips. I was wondering if I could use them in place of the insert. Would you recommend that? It looks like this might work. Are these made for this?
Thanks,
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
No, I don't believe the 70-050 will work in a storm door application. You need to replace the riv-nut in the door. It is most likely a 8-32 thread. We do carry the riv-nuts 70-087, thumb screws 70-112, and clips 70-110. The riv-nuts are installed with a special tool which we do carry but for one door I don't think that would be economical feasible. Try to locate a window company in the area maybe they can repair the riv-nuts or rent you the tool. You can always drill a new hole and install the clip with a sheet metal screw.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)