SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Can this window be repaired?

A quick learner from NYC says:
I have an Amacor kitchen window, approximately 50" by 66" that desperately needs new balances. The bottom of the window is behind the kitchen counter with about a 3 inch gap in between, just enough to squeeze hands in to reach the bottom of the window. On the right side, about 6 inches in front of the window is a boxed-in beam that overlaps the window 3 inches. The top of the window can be swung open just a few inches until it hits the beam. I think I can get the sash out by swinging the top out until it hits the beam and then tilting the sash out of horizontal until it disengages one of the shoes.

The problem will be after new balances are installed and the shoes are locked in place, the rotating shoe slots will be vertical. But, because the beam is in the way, I will not be able to position the sash horizontally to get the pivot bar tangs vertical to fit into the vertically positioned slots in the shoes. Is there a technique that would make it possible to get the sash back in the shoes?
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a trick to getting the window in without that beam getting in the way. You have a unique setup here. Do you know if the balances have ever been replaced in the past, or are these the ones that were built with the window? It's entirely possible the original installers designed this window without intending for it to be repaired, such a thing has been known to happen unfortunately.
A quick learner from NYC says:
I think the window has never been serviced and installed in such a way that it may never be. Thank you for your advice.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry we can't offer an easier solution for you. If you are able to contact the original installers, they may be able to give you advice on what you could do.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)